Type 5 Diabetics

EARLY POST :) Because it's cold outside and I have nothing resembling a social life at the moment...

Type 5's probably have the hardest job, their condition however was self-inflicted, which adds to their level of bravery, committment... and possibly stupidity. But type 1's like me appreciate them for their self sacrifice. 

A Type 5 Diabetic has the following symptoms:
- Has a fully functioning pancreas
- Has no insulin concerns
- Is the best friend and supporter of a diabetic
- Doesn't judge what their diabetic friend eats
- Doesn't tell their diabetic how to manage their condition
- Asks questions (yes people, I LIKE answering questions!)
- Carries or offers to carry emergency sugar sources (one of my type 5's did this even before I was diagnosed... she had a hunch)
- Reads your diabetic blog
- Doesn't get grossed out by fingerpricks and injections at the dinner table
- Loves you despite your general craziness about everything and perfectionism in managing your HSC and your diabetes

and the most important of all
- Holds your diabetes stuff (seriously, I'm a walking pharmacy) 

Besides my parents and my amazing family who have been honourary diabetics for years, I'm lucky enough to have three type 5's in my life.

They are under-appreciated in every way. No one pays them, no one recognises their achievements, they don't make national news (I did give one of my type 5's a bag of lollies once... that counts right?). You made a choice to accept and get involved with my diabetes, realising it's just a part of me.

I'll never understand why you choose to not just put up with me and all my little quirks, but also my diabetes.  So thank you Type 5's!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D Blog Week 2017: Diabetes and the Unexpected

D Blog Week 2017: What Brings Me Down

Diabetes Blog Week 2016: Message Monday