Diabetes Blog Week 2013... a little late

So I just found out about D Blog Week and signed up, though I will be running a little late (just a day :) )

Day 1: Often our health care team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let’s pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved one's daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see

My health care team? It's pretty amazing. I'm lucky enough to be constantly supported by diabetic educators, dietitians, counsellors and of course my endocrinologist who really is one of the best in his field. They know so much about my diabetes, but sometimes you have to wonder, what do they actually know about me, the person?

I wish they could see the support I constantly have around me, and how much their guidance has influenced me. I wish they could see how their lessons have helped me manage day to day functioning and let me be a relatively normal person. Without my diabetes team, I would be constantly confused with no one to call to get me out of a sticky situation. I've had times where those calls late into the night, during school hours and after school have been essential, their guidance ensuring my blood sugar wouldn't do anything too drastic. Through pump failure, hypos, sick days and all, their lessons have ensured I understand what to do, and why these things happen. They're so important, and I think they should be acknowledged as often as possible. I may only have a few months left with them at the children's hospital, but I will never forget their kind words and support.

But sometimes, we diabetics can get a little lazy. I wouldn't want them to see the amount of chocolate I've been eating, the lack of changing my finger pricker lancets and the lack of uploading my pump data onto the database (tsk tsk, bad diabetic, bad!). But then again, maybe seeing these things helps to reinforce the truth, that we're just people, I'm just a teenager. Yes, I'll splurge, I'll let go of a little of my diabetes control sometimes (Easter anyone?) but that just helps them see that we're not just diabetics. We're people too, and these guys are so great, that I'm pretty sure they know that.

I'm lucky enough to be valued as a person, not as 'the diabetic.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D Blog Week 2017: Diabetes and the Unexpected

D Blog Week 2017: What Brings Me Down

Diabetes Blog Week 2016: Message Monday