D Blog Week Day 5- Freaky Friday

Well this is REALLY late but here goes 'Just like in the movie, today we’re doing a swap. If you could switch chronic diseases, which one would you choose to deal with instead of diabetes? And while we’re considering other chronic conditions, do you think your participation in the DOC has affected how you treat friends and acquaintances with other medical conditions'

Switching chronic conditions.... 
Simply put, I wouldn't.
Honestly, I am so lucky to only have diabetes when I have heard of and witnessed far worse. Yes, I have to manage my blood sugar, carbohydrates an insulin, but I'm living a relatively normal life free of pain, for that I am grateful. I think it's important to take a step back sometimes, and realise that things aren't so terrible, and that chronic illness can make you a stronger person in the long run. Is it a perfect life? No. But my life is what I make of it, if I dwell on the bad of course it won't be brilliant!
How has the diabetes online community changed how I treat others with medical conditions? I have a degree of empathy. I can understand what it's like to feel different, damaged and that life is unfair. But I can't know exactly what their life is like, not just because they may have a different condition to me, but because each person is different.

Having diabetes makes me more accepting. I can't make judgements and assumptions because I don't live another's life. Who am I to say I feel the way they do? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D Blog Week 2017: Diabetes and the Unexpected

D Blog Week 2017: What Brings Me Down

Diabetes Blog Week 2016: Message Monday