D Blog Week Day 4- Accomplishments big and small

'We don’t always realize it, but each one of us had come a long way since diabetes first came into our life. It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 weeks, 5 years or 50 years, you’ve done something outstanding diabetes-wise. So today let’s share the greatest accomplishment you've made in terms of dealing with your (or your loved one’s) diabetes. No accomplishment is too big or too small - think about self-acceptance, something you’ve mastered (pump / exercise / diet / etc.), making a tough care decision (finding a new endo or support group / choosing to use or not use a technology / etc.).'

My accomplishment would have to be going on my very first diabetes camp. 
It was a frosty morning in Newcastle as we waited for the bus to take us up to Queensland (I'd never been before!). I looked around and didn't know a single person, but we all shared something in common, our type 1 diabetes. I soon made a friend, happens pretty quickly when you're stuck on a bus for hours upon hours! The camp turned out to be amazing, I met some fantastic people and learned a lot on how to manage diabetes whilst having a good time at theme parks.

But what I'm most proud of isn't that I took a leap and introduced myself to new people, or that I rode the tallest ride in the southern hemisphere (did I mention I'm afraid of heights?), but that I managed my diabetes, all on my own in an unfamiliar place with new people I'd never met. And my blood sugars were amazing that week!

To me, that really was my greatest accomplishment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D Blog Week 2017: Diabetes and the Unexpected

D Blog Week 2017: What Brings Me Down

Diabetes Blog Week 2016: Message Monday